View Single Post
Old 04-26-2015, 09:21 PM

Exclamation Martin Guitar Cracked - Chances to repair?

*Sorry, the pics are too big and I could not resize them.
Hello guys!

Nice to meet you guys! I'm new and this is my first topic here.

I'm REALLY concerned about my guitar and I want to share my doubts with you, looking forward an answer that can help me.
Two months ago I bought a Martin DX1AE, used from eBay. With a crack in the body, from the bridge all the way to the end of body. It is not deep and doesnt affects the sound. I have been busy and with personal issues during the last two months and unfortunately only now I can give the properly attention to my guitar.
I live in New York City, in an apartment with the AC always on. Concerned about humidity, i bought an Hygrometer and an Oasis Plus Humidifier.
The guitar is always protected by the case, and inside the case the humidity is 30%-40% and temperature 60ºF-70ºF, even with the humidifier.

Ok, there we go.
As I said before, without time to play, just opening the case to put the humidifier, I never saw the crack before. Yes, Im disappointed about that and blaming me for being stupid.
In my guitar, under the bridge, there are different shades of wood, masking the crack. Probably the crack enhanced during the last days and I just realized now. At the time, I have no money to pay a luthier and I need to repair by myself.
I'm attaching pictures, and my questions are:
Is it a severe crack?
Could you guys, suggest me the best type of glue to do it? Super glue, wood glue or any other?
I have no experience repairing guitars. Should I humidify a lot the guitar before start any repair, waiting the wood join?

All help is more than welcome, I really need to repair it as soon as possible.
I'm watching youtube videos, tutorials and reading articles about different types of glue and repairing, but I'm still with doubts.

Thank you so much to read my topic and please apologize my english, this is not my first language.

Best!

Last edited by lucascantelle; 04-26-2015 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Trying to post img as thumbs