View Single Post
Old 06-15-2019, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
A good number of Pro users did just that, and switched to PC during the entire Mac Trash Can debacle
I'm not a "pro" by any stretch and, luckily, I'll never have to depend on my studio for income so I was able to wait until the last second to replace my old Mac Pro. I was hoping it would last until the new one was available but it didn't work out that way. The trash can was a debacle but it was a debacle that was still at a price-point that didn't make me shudder. And while I knew the price would go up, I was hoping the new Mac Pro would still be within a comfortable reach. However, I had less hope that would be the case once the iMac Pro showed up and looked at the cost of that computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I don't think there is any doubt that with the huge range of options that someone can build a PC that is more specifically targeted for individual need and save money as well over Apple ......However the fly in ointment, is that you are computer savvy enough to understand what the specs actually mean for each component types and brands, including case, fans, motherboard, CPU, GPU, PCIe slots , types of drives and slots, etc. Otherwise you are going to have to pay to have one built ( and hope they know what your specific needs actually are and what to spec for that) which would mean in your example $4k plus labor and support cost factor
That's a good point. My own situation adds another... I have a friend who is a "pro" and anytime I run into something new and need some help, he's a short drive or a skype session away. He knows the Mac environment inside and out. If I switched to PC, I'd lose that free tech support and I'm reluctant to give that up.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube