View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 10:57 AM

I haven't used any low tension strings except for the Martin Silk & Steel. They have a unique tone which most people don't seem to like, but some people do. You get a diminished dynamic range and sustain. They've given my given my guitars a muted kind of tone in comparison to my usual phosphor bronze strings. I had one guitar on which I really liked the silk n steels, but never liked them on any other guitar. Can't say what the difference is with the other low tension strings.

But with your playing style and touch, they might give you what you want.

Seems like the best thing to do is get your guitar properly set up for the string gauge you want to use - that might take care of the tension issue. Although some guitars have a higher string tension than others even with the same action height at the nut and the 12th fret and the same neck bow. Anyway, I generally use lights (12's), but I have used 11's on occasion too. I haven't noticed a big difference in tone or dynamics between the 12's and 11's, but then I don't have the most accurate ear in the world either...