View Single Post
Old 09-29-2020, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHey! View Post
https://soundcloud.com/user-65275946...?ref=clipboard

Here’s the maiden voyage with my new stuff. It’s easy enough to get sound into the computer and then turn it into a wav file. I’m still clueless when it comes to getting proper recording levels, mic placement, eq, mix, editing etc etc. I tried to use a couple of software features like eq, reverb, compression, but I don’t understand any of it in any meaningful way yet, so I’m just pushing buttons and turning knobs. I haven’t actually listened to it through monitors yet (don’t have any), just headphones. I’ll keep working on it - so much to learn. The song is a Travis picked ditty that I sing to my daughter. I played it on my Collings 02 and doubled it up. Each guitar is mostly a single take save a messy punch in here or there. It has words but I’m not brave enough to record my voice yet. I’m happy to hear constructive critiques, recommendations etc to help improve the quality of my recordings. It’s definitely the very beginning of a work in progress!
Gain staging and mic placement...start there, they do most of the heavy lifting. Polar pattern is crucial too but cardioid works great for now.

0 size guitars are fun to record, don’t be afraid to stick the mic close (12” or so) to the sound hole, that placement sounds good on my Martin 0

Don’t overlook acoustic treatment.

Be Safe
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
McSpadden Mountain Dulcimer
Casio CT-S1

Last edited by Mike J. Vitale; 09-29-2020 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Not sure