View Single Post
Old 12-07-2019, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Default My first luthier build: Sean Spurling GS Mini (24.5" scale, cutaway, arm bevel, more)

Some of you may have read my posts on other parts of the forum. I was paralyzed and lost my legs in 2012 so all of a sudden acoustics that were once totally fine size-wise became very unwieldy being in a wheelchair.

Once I found AGF and started researching specs, the cyclical buying and selling began. I've gone through tons of guitars now, and every time it was the same: scale length was pretty comfortable, but body was a bit too big. Body was pretty good, thickness was too wide, etc, etc.

I would always come back to the GS Mini, it just "fit" in terms of body dimensions, however, some parts of the guitar I really wanted to change, if I could. After going down the Google rabbit hole and searching tons of old sales records from various sites, I came across luthier Sean Spurling https://www.spurlingguitars.com/.

He has made 4 or 5 GS Mini custom builds now, but not as custom as the one I'm getting. I do love koa guitars, but knowing this is going to be a smaller body, thinner, and with an even smaller air volume due to the cutaway and thinner dimension I want, I decided to go with a torrefied adi top and koa back and sides.

The tentative delivery for this is going to be by beginning of February the latest. I'll be posting images as I get them.

Specs of my build:
  • GS Mini Body
  • Koa back and sides
  • Torrefied Adirondack spruce top
  • Ebony fingerboard
  • Gibson Advanced Response fingerboard profile
  • 3.75" width at lower bout
  • Cutaway
  • Ebony arm bevel
  • 1-11/16" nut width
  • 24.5" scale length
  • K&K Mini pickup
  • Koa and abalone rosette
  • Abalone purfling on front of body
  • Abalone center stripe down back
  • Abalone purfling on fingerboard
  • Single abalone dot on 12th
  • Side dots 3,5,7,9,12,15,17
  • Sound port

I'm real excited for this one!
- Journey Instruments OF882CN Koa
- Lazy River Weissenborn

Last edited by nolegsfngrpickn; 01-19-2020 at 01:58 PM.