View Single Post
Old 11-06-2018, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

I was a little shocked when I saw the headstock on this instrument - the backwards facing tuners.

It took me back to, maybe, the late sixties when I first got interested in bluegrass.

There was a chap in West London called, I think, Alan Holmes, who took me to his house once and showed me his instruments. He had a Gibson banjo, which I think he said was identical to Earl Scruggs' one, a 1920s Gibson F-4, and a Martin guitar that was smaller than I knew about (I only knew of dreadnoughts) and had those "funny" tuners.

So, I guess it was an early OM.

So there was, at least, one in the UK back in the day.

The OM was introduced in 1929 and discontinued in 1933. Only 487 were made.
Belly bridges from 1930, banjo tuners discontinued in 1931. Larger pick guards introduced in 1931.

Another thought:

There was a much loved crooner and tenor banjo/guitarist in the UK called Al Bowlly, (who was actually a Greek/Lebanese chap from South Africa!) who sung with various dance bands in and around London.
Somewhere I've seen a picture or a video of him playing an OM. (or possibly an 000 14 fret) with a dance band although was most frequently seen playing a Selmer Maccaferri "Grande Bouche".

He was sadly killed in April 1941 by a German parachute bomb which landed near his flat in the early hours. It is said that his body had no obvious injuries but it was supposed that his front door which was blown into his room might have hit his head whilst sleeping. His guitar was probably also undamaged and might have been ...an OM?

I wonder if Alan had it?

Wish I could find that pic of Al Bowlly playing it.

This is the music that the OM was designed for :