View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 10:46 PM

An update with lots of photos.

The Jumbo is on the way to finish. I'll get more photos of that when it's shiny.

For now, the new Concert Model. It has an Engelmann Spruce top, Wenge Back/Sides with Leopardwood trim.

This shot is a bit distorted but it gives you an idea of the new shape.

I've really changed my methods of work over the years. I've increased the amount of hand work I do while refining the machine work and I'm really happy with the balance. I used to use the jointer to prep my plates for gluing but I've gone back to a hand plane. It's just as fast and it's quiet and enjoyable.

And I've gone from vacuum clamping back to the old fashioned go-bar deck. Mostly it's just quieter but vacuum doesn't work very well with the hot hide glue I use for top bracing.

On the other end of the spectrum is my pin router (the one on the left). I think this is the coolest tool in the shop but I may be alone in that. It's used for pattern cutting. There is a pin in the table centered on the bit. A pattern rides on the pin and the bit cuts to the shape of the pattern. But the cool thing about it is that the pin size is variable so I can fine tune the cut without messing with the pattern.

Here it is with my rosette pattern. The two patterns are for two different sizes. The pin rides in the channel and the router bit above cuts the recess for the rosette.