View Single Post
Old 04-18-2001, 05:43 PM

Smile

I'm looking at Guitar World Acoustic, Issue #27, 1998 at their transription of Little Martha....they do it out as two guitars arranged for one...

..anyone know if on the recording the 2 guitars essentially do the same stuff or do they have totally different parts? I don't have a recording of this....

anyways, intervals of a 3rd on string pairs 4 and 3, and 3 and 2, are used throughtout this song...

We'll write out thirds in standard tuning up those string pairs and then do it as it would have to change to conform to the open E tuning....

gotta know your intervals.....tune after tune after tune.....you'll see them....and even more importantly, they are the basic builiding blocks of chords in our musical system...must know stuff...

Here's the E major scale...

E major = E F# G# A B C# D# and we won't write the last E....

actually, I'll write out an interval in standard tuning, then write "becomes blah blah" to show how the interval changes shape when you move to open E tuning....

remember, all of the fret numbers are relative to either the nut or the capo, (regardless of where you plop your capo)

E and G# xx21xx becomes xx00xx

make sure you've got that straight

xx21xx represents E and G# in standard tuning

and

xx00xx represents E and G# in open E tuning....

and also, if you've loosened up your strings sufficiently so that you're actually down more towards open D tuning, that's fine....but we still think in terms of open E...I'm still thinking in terms of the E major scale....the song's in the key of E as far as my fingers and brain are concerned no matter how far I tune down (or up), no matter where I plop the capo...

onward...

F# and A xx42xx becomes xx21xx

G# and B xx64xx becomes xx43xx

A and C# xx76xx becomes xx55xx

B and D# xx98xx becomes xx77xx

C# and E xx 11 9 xx becomes xx98xx

D# and F# xx 13 11 xx becomes xx11 10xx

back to E and G# xx 14 13 xx becomes xx12 12 xx

I hope we don't have typos..

look for some of those intervals in the tune... they're all over the place...remember the fret numbers are relative to the end of the guitar, whether it's the nut or a capo...

I suppose you can find the intervals up strings 3 and 2....if you can't, ask.....
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009