View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
HI folks...
One of the main differences between learning as you go on one's own versus getting into lessons or a system is the tendency to drift along against deliberately moving forward with a purpose.

If all one does is collect a few chords as he/she progresses, once they collect enough skill to 'get by' and play a few songs, that is where they settle in.

My main clients as an intermediate/advanced fingerstyle teacher are players who have hit the wall and don't know where to go next, and where they are deficient is almost always in chord knowledge, arranging, knowledge of the fingerboard, and melody/harmony/chord structure.

I didn't overlook the fact the original poster said he'd been playing only a couple months. I expect lots from beginners because they are often adventurous and have big ideas!

Within the first 4 lessons even my beginner students can play 25 chords and are painlessly on their way to learning/using barre chords and inside chords. And none of them hate B7th either.

They are also playing full chords at the 9th fret by the second lesson, and they are using what they are playing.

This is how I teach as well...if someone comes to me wanting structure--they're going to get it!

I got barre chords back at my first guitar lesson. My teacher said, "never too soon to start working on these now."

I understand not every player wants/needs that structure, but in a private lesson format, that's what they're getting... on an internet forum, I sometimes catch myself and remember that we've got everything here from pros to those who play three chord tunes to their kids and dogs, and both are part of what's great about guitar playing...

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz