View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 09:28 AM

I'm 55 and have played for 40 years. I can't even remember what I've forgotten. Guitar is suppose to be enjoyable so I don't play songs learned in the past that I got bored with. I've learned Classical Gas 3 times and that's it...can't stand it anymore.

Just about every time I pick up the guitar I warm up by running through a few bars of a dozen or so classical pieces and other music that uses finger style. The key I find is to memorize a few essential bars and then improvise a bit with the rest of the piece. If you learn the chord progression and not just the notes then you can fill in those braindead moments with something that sounds like it fits. For example I'll memorize about a third of Pachelbel's Canon in D and then wing the rest of it....there is no 'right' version of it. The same with some pieces by Bach. Something like 'Greensleeves' sounds good regardless of how it's fingered if the notes fit. I don't think I ever play Spanish, Flamenco,Samba the same way twice.
There is a German fellow called Siggy who has lessons on Youtube. He tends to teach 'the approach' to a song rather than all the notes. His method encourages thinking about what's being played and not just memorizing a bunch of notes.

Last edited by raptordigits; 08-20-2009 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Atrocious spelling