Thread: Wood Seasoning
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
There is a whole field of study on this, but as I understand it, there are 2 types of moisture in wood - the moisture between the cells, and the moisture inside the cells. The "free" moisture has to be removed slowly, since loosing it too quickly will cause all kinds of cracking as the "trapped" moisture will keep the cells from shrinking. So you need to regulate the loss of the free moisture to allow the trapped moisture a chance to migrate out of the cells, and then slowly bring the whole piece to an equilibrium level.

When you "bake" wood, you are helping to force trapped moisture out of the cells. This trapped moisture would eventually work its way out over a period of time, but you are essentially forcing the natural process.

Trapped moisture does not get replaced - the cells do not re-integrate moisture into themselves. The free moisture is easily replaced or lost depending on the relative humidity of its environment. You slow this process by applying finish to wood, but it continues to happen.

Its usually easier to dry wood out than it is to keep it properly humidified. If you're in that dry an environment, you need to make sure you can control that or you will end up with alot of firewood quickly -

Tad
I am constantly concerned with humidity around here. Its a never ending battle

Taylor HR-14 Hot Rod NAMM Limited Edition "Hot Rod" (Aniversary Present from my Wife)

http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/b...letrap-photos/