Thread: Wood Seasoning
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattletrap View Post
I've been doing quite a bit of reading regarding the woods on a guitar.

It is pretty much a consensus everywhere that wood that has seasoned for years is better.

Asnip

I live in an EXTREMELY dry climate. The humidity averages below 20%. In addition to the low climate it is hotter than blazes. In addition to that it is incessantly windy.

Wood drying out is a real issue here. Over time the desert dessicates wood that is outside. Considering how dry it is here I could quickly cycle wood through wet and dry cycles. I think that this would tend to simulate years of aging in a short time. I could sticker up some wood, wax the ends and simply set it out on the driveway in the summer and it would dry out in a couple days. The hot dry air would act as a slow kiln.

Luthiers,

What are your opinions on this?

Craig
I read recently about wood that is harvested when the sap is residing in the roots (dormant?) exhibits properties of well seasoned wood.
BTW Wouldn't drying wood too quickly cause it to split from shrinking too fast? Isn't it important to remove the moisture while keeping the cell structure from collapsing appreciably? Just asking. I'm learning too.