View Single Post
Old 09-23-2022, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
Zappa once said that being near Jimi’s Marshall’s when he was playing felt like being physically attacked.
Never read that one before, great quote!!

My hair still stands up every time I listen to Power to Love on BOG at 0:18 when he comes in right after Buddy's "AH!". So freakin' good.

One criticism I've read a lot over the years was that the family (in particular his sister Janie) went overboard releasing every single thing they could dig up. On one hand I think Jimi would not have wanted some of the current releases to be shared. As a fan, I've enjoyed listening to everything although it's a bit weird for his legacy to have a bunch of what many consider "subpar" recordings mixed in with such timeless works.

I am a big fan of his early work, however my favorite era has always been Woodstock -> BOG. There was just so much raw intensity in his playing during that time.

Great thread, J-Doug! I think you've made some very interesting points (especially #3), although to be honest I haven't spent much time thinking critically about things like Billy vs. Noel or Mitch's decline.