View Single Post
Old 03-31-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
The conventional definition for plywood is an odd number of veneer layers with opposing grain directions. The cheaper laminates used for instrument making some sort of "junk" wood for the interior layer and it is often at 90 degrees to the grain on the faces.

However, there are also better grades of laminated wood which use higher quality tone wood for the inner layer and the grain for all three layers run in the same direction. All laminates are not created equal.

Some laminated guitar do sound good, but all else being equal, a solid wood guitar is going to sound more lively.
I'm curious about the above underlined sentence. Because the opposing grain directions in various plys is what DW Drums uses as their claim to fame in the current line of drums they produce. Their HVX shells are built around varying plys of horizontal,vertical and diagonal grains within one drum shell for strength and varying tone and pitch.

I admit I understand drums better than I do guitars when it comes to their construction.