View Single Post
Old 05-11-2019, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Default Crowdsourcing a new Emerald custom

No, not looking to fund a new custom via crowdsourcing, just throwing out some thoughts about a possible new build!

As many of you know, I had two Emerald custom woody's - an X20 and an X7, both with K&K pickups. Great guitars and really like them a lot. I gig with both. You might also know that I just picked up a third - an X10 custom woody in nylon with level 1 pickup and some really special custom features. Love that one as well.

What you don't know is that while I was waiting to see if EvanB was going to part with that X10, I've been in 'talks' with Emerald about a new custom build. Originally my focus was a nylon, possibly an X10 or an X7. But there were many variables that I just wasn't sure about. Evan offered to let me check out his X10 to see if I liked the features of his custom. Turns out I did like it and ended up buying it.

So now I'm set with an X10 and a nylon. But I'm still looking at maybe doing one more custom. I really need a steel string that works well with no outboard EQ that I can take anywhere like open mics and plug and play. Can't do it with either the K&K's. Originally I was thinking of doing this with an X7 but now I'm thinking do it with an X20 and assuming it turns out great, I could sell my first X20 custom to recoup some of the cost.

I've already picked out an awesome veneer that I fell in love with at the last unveiling. Other than that I'd get the rest of my usual custom features, 24.6" scale with soft V carve, but instead of the usual K&K I'd get a Baggs StagePro Anthem as I need a mic to capture body tapping and also need the barn door with EQ and notch. I could also do this with an X7 and then assuming it works as well as I hope, sell both my current X20 and X7. I love the size of the X7 but the X20 just sounds better amplified. So leaning towards the X20.

So many decisions. I know we like to live vicariously through each other's custom builds so I thought for fun I'd throw this up for public comment. We'll see what happens around post #10.