View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
...we're going to build a 00-12 that is more of a modern interpretation of that vintage sound. I believe that is what Jim Magill was going for when he ordered his Italian Spruce/Macassar 00-12 - the one that the HGF guitar was based on, I believe.
The 00 you saw at HGF is indeed a twin to mine, and a 'modern interpretation' is exactly what we were going for in mine: lots of the vintage tone, but with a few more chime-y overtones, and a big, fully resonant voice. And that's exactly what John delivered.

I understand those who say if you want vintage, why not just buy vintage, but I'm assuming you want something customized to your own aesthetic, ergonomic and auditory preferences. With John you can get the vintage sound (minus the age, of course) with the look, feel and tone dialed in to your personal tastes.

There is no other luthier I know of with the same consistency of quality from guitar to guitar, and the 00 size is right in the center of John's comfort range and expertise.

If you can accurately describe to him what you want, I'm confident he can build you something great.

I'll be following this build thread with great interest. Best of luck with it!

Guitars:'07 Circa OM, '09 Bashkin 00-12fret, '10 Circa 00 12-fret, '17 Buendia Jumbo, '17 Robbins R.1, '19 Doerr Legacy Select, '12 Collings 000-28H Koa. Pre-War guitars: '20 0-28, '22 00-28, '22 000-28. Mandolins: '09 Heiden Heritage F5, '08 Poe F5 , 1919 Gibson F-4, '80 Monteleone Grand Artist mandolin, '83 Monteleone GA (oval),'85 Sobell cittern.

Last edited by jmagill; 03-22-2013 at 02:55 PM.