View Single Post
Old 06-10-2017, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northward View Post
I'm glad I read this thread. Could easily have been fooled here. I usually do extensive research on what I buy, but somehow this was something I'd missed. You clearly know what you're takling about. So if you where to purchase a particular product of panels that is working for all problematic frequencies, what would you pick? OR a great 'vocal shield'.
And I must add, if you had space limitations and aimed to set up something effective.
Freestanding shields or wall mounted panels?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well first off I am by no means an acoustical engineer of trained acoustician. It is an extensive field with a lot physics that are way beyond my knowledge.
I learned a few things from researching it for 14 years now.

What I have learned is there is not really one panel that will address all
problem frequencies. Also note that in many professional studio's there can be any combination of bass trapping, broad band absorption, diffusion, and scattering.

For the home recorder all of these can be useful but I I were to start with just on area to address it would be broad band absorption.

Personally I am not a fan of any kind of shield that enclose the area around the mic but that is just me.

Very generally as far as the more broad band absorption panels
As I and others have noted are often made from either Ownes Corning 703 (or similar) or Rock Wool, usually mounted in a wood or metal frame and covered with cloth.

Absorption panels often either 2 ft X 2 ft by either 2 inches deep or 4 inches deep --- Or more often 2 ft. X 4 ft. and either 2 or 4 inches deep (probably the most used over all are 2 ft X 4 ft. X 4 inches )

These are designed to either go on the wall and hang at the main reflection points OR they can also be designed or home built to be freestanding portable so they be a non permanent movable solution. If I did not want to mount anything on the walls. These free standing absorption panels is what I would use.

If you don't want to DYI Here is a company that makes great products or if you do want to DYI this company has great ideas for it.
http://www.gikacoustics.com/

In the portable free standing they have two solutions

one they make.

Or they also sell a bracket for a mike stand

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 06-10-2017 at 07:34 AM.