View Single Post
Old 12-10-2021, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
Interestingly (to me at least) I believe on that "Beeswing" video Richard Thompson is using a flatpick plus two or three fingers in a hybrid picking style.
Yes, that's his usual technique.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
One of these days in the distant future I'd love to get good enough with my flatpicking to start working with fingers as well.
Personally, I can't see the point of hybrid picking.
I either play with a pick (strumming, or lead guitar, sometimes combined), or full fingerstyle. Hybrid picking ties up one finger to hold the pick, which I find wasteful, awkward and clumsy.

It's certainly possible to play any hybrid picking tune with normal fingerstyle. The only difference is the thumbnail naturally has a slightly different tone from a pick, and (for me anyway), the hybrid version is more difficult! Another difference would be if the tune contained a substantial amount of strumming, or fast single string alternate picking. But even then I can do that just as easily with thumb and index or middle.

The only advantage I can see of learning hybrid is if (a) you commonly switch between strummed songs, flatpicked and fingerpicked songs, and don't want to drop the pick and pick it up again; and (b) if you can't grow your thumbnail long (and strong) enough. (But then there are thumbpicks...) For me, my thumbnail is good, and switching from pick to fingers when I need to doesn't hold me up.