View Single Post
Old 01-24-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
I've done it twice. The first time I was 18. I applied for entrance to a university music program for music theory and composition. During the audition, I was told that I played well, but didn't sight read well enough and didn't play with classical technique. I was advised to go study classical guitar for a year and reapply. I went and studied classical guitar for a number of years, starting from scratch. I never reapplied.

Much later, I wanted to learn to arrange jazz on a guitar. I met a teacher who followed the curriculum that his teacher, Tony Braden, taught. It involved starting from scratch, starting with learning notes on one string at a time. I studied with him for 7 years.

Whether to start from scratch depends on what you want and what it takes to get you there. I could not, for example, have learned to play classical guitar by simply tacking it on to what I had been doing. It required starting from the beginning again.
In all seriousness, could you give us one example of a change you had to make.?? Something other than which knee to place the guitar.