Thread: Help me decide
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Hello, I am new to this forum and this is my first post. So I am looking for a D-18 style guitar that's more affordable. The only real criteria is that it has to be all solid wood. I have it sort of narrowed down:

-Blueridge BR-140 or BR-160
-Eastman E1D, E2D or AC-320
-Recording King RD-310, RD-318 or RD-127
-Fender PM-1

All of these are $500-$650 new/used on Reverb, which is about my budget. I'm going to try to go to a high end music shop near me tomorrow, to play a few. Any suggestions are welcome.
I suggest you go play a ton of guitars locally and then pick from what you play and like.

I just saw a video about a recording studio selecting a Steinway piano model D. They went to the Steinway factory to select one of 5 pianos, that I assume cost in the area of $100k (each). They found all to be different, though made by the same hands, with the same wood, frame, etc. If the world's most renowned piano maker cannot produce instruments that sound the same from unit to unit, you can imagine it is impossible to know what you will get from brand/model alone with a $500 guitar.

So, my advice would be use the models you listed as starting points, but there is no substitute for demoing your own specific guitar. The chances of buyer's remorse will go down significantly if you forget brand/model and just go buy a guitar that you yourself can choose and love. JMO
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS