Thread: String Rattle
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound4690 View Post
Hey guys,

Just wanting to know how can I eliminate string rattle on my acoustic.
I had a new set of Elixir's put on it yesterday and there is a little bit of rattle on the Low E and the A strings.
Did you use the exact same strings (in terms of gauge and brand) as before the change ? Maybe you asked for same gauge but whoever changed your strings used something else ?

Is it indeed a rattle, or more of a "ping" sound ?

Listen to the rattle/ping and try to figure out roughly where it is coming from:
  • upper part of the neck ? Check the nut. You could have a crack or worn out slot (or went drastically down in gauge).
  • towards the heel/body. That usually indicates a high fret. Which suddenly has become "high" for some yet unknown reason (humidity, dropping the gauge, tightening the truss rod, etc.)
  • somewhere from around the body area. Do you have any amplifier installed inside the body ? If so, it could be some metallic nut/washer part of the jack that is a tinny bit loose and resonates with A and E frequencies. In this case the "rattle" is more of a "ping/ringing" sound, though it depends how loose that part is.
  • bad pack of strings. Rare, but it happens. And it happened to me. One day after I changed my strings (same gauge) out of the blue the B string started buzzing. It went away on its own after a new strings change. I guess that problematic B string was a tinny bit thicker than normal. Maybe the pack I had was a counterfeit. Who knows ...
  • if the sound seems to come out from the "entire" length of neck, it could be the truss rod that resonates. But this a very rare case and I would only look into it if all other possibilities have been exhausted.

Hope this helps.