View Single Post
Old 12-27-2019, 04:12 PM

Default Why cant I bend sides?

I simply can't bend sides. I've tried a bending pipe, a steam box, and (currently) a silicone blanket, and the wood always cracks at least in the bend near the neck. I have two molds, one of solid mdf and one of mdf sides with dowels. I have tried various amounts of spritzing and even soaking the wood. I plane and sand the wood to 2 mm, and scrape it flat. I've used different woods from LMI and SM, plus spruce from Alaska. I've tried temperatures ranging from 250 to 375 (measured by a meat thermometer inserted into the sandwich). I can see steam generated, and give the wood time to soften before bending. With the blanket I use a stainless steel sheet on top, then the blanket, then the wood, wet and wrapped in foil. Clothes pins keep everything together. I work slowly and patiently when bending the wood over the mold. I let the wood soak at temperature and cool overnight. I've watched countless videos on the subject. I expected a learning curve, but not complete and utter failure. Wood is expensive, and I have lots of excess backs. I am not without woodworking skills. Can someone please help me? Everyone else seems to be able to manage this task; why can't I?