View Single Post
Old 01-05-2019, 01:51 AM

The gluten free diet is a common treatment for those suffering from Celiac's disease and leaky gut syndrome.

My son has autism and for a time we consulted with a neurodevelopmental pediatrician who had us get blood drawn for a number of tests for a biomedical treatment plan. Among them was the IgG antibody test for elevated antibodies. I don't completely understand the theories behind this but it was my understanding that the presence of these antibodies indicated an intolerance to the gluten protein found in most wheats, as well as the casein protein in dairy, as well as a sensitivity to soy which is also a common allergen. While Celiac's was not a concern, leaky gut syndrome was. It was shown via blood test results that my son's antibody count was elevated beyond the norm and that doctor's belief that it was causing a sort of autoimmune response that was literally eating holes into his intestinal tract. This is turn was believed to be causing an inflammation in his gut that was also causing inflammation in his brain via the vagus nerve, leading to delayed development in speech and causing him emotional distress.

I should also add that in addition to cutting out gluten, casein and soy from his diet we were also told to give him magnesium, DHA Omega 3 fish oil and probiotics - in addition to other supplements such as vitamin D3 and CoQ10 and vitamin B12.

So for a year we did the gluten/casein/soy free diet and it helped briefly but not significantly so we ended the diet after about a year. FWIW, we do notice that our son can overcome a viral illness in hours, so I do believe that his immune system is indeed overstimulated but we have also since stopped advising with that doctor.

Do I think the gluten free diet was helping? Probably. Would I have done it without a blood test? No.

In our case though, it was not a fad and I don't think it's for everybody. Do I think that it's overblown? Not any more than any other placebo that the desperate turn to.