View Single Post
Old 09-21-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
The reissues are very popular for good reason. Great quality/price ratio.

Another option is to go boutique hand wired from a respected builder like Jim at Lil Dawg or Rick at Vintage Sound Amps. There are a lot of other great builders as well. I'm only mentioning these two because I have a Tweed Deluxe from Jim and a Princeton Reverb from Rick.

Jim will build anything from just a bare head chassis model, to a head lunchbox, to a combo with a Mather cab. For example, Jim will build a hand wired bare chassis 5e3 Tweed Deluxe (complete with tubes) ready to plug into a cab for about $580 US. He will custom build to your tastes and needs--and his reputation is stellar, both as a builder and person.

Rick builds a completely finished head cab or combo with lots of covering options--very cool (I went with the standard Fender Blackface look). He also has a stellar reputation.

No matter what direction you go, take your time and enjoy the hunt!
Great stuff. I had a friend online who went 5e3 build but I think finding a space/ soundproof studio to really put it through its paces was a challenge. I’ll keep in mind your advice to take time/ savour the possibilities.