View Single Post
Old 01-12-2016, 06:28 AM

Default The Sky???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Alistair seems to have figured out a proprietary method to economically produce molds and forming/injection of materials and finishing that other composite guitar builders have not. This has to give him a big leg-up on the competition.
How can you tell? How does that effect the guitar, or price, or availability?

Quote:
Combine this with the new direct sales, road trip business model and the sky appears to be the limit.
Acousticado, I don't see this. The direct-sales method seems to be a retreat, making Emerald Guitars less available, not more. I can drive over to Guitar Center and see a Composite Acoustics guitar. I can drive to the Music Emporium and see a Blackbird. I have never seen an Emerald.

How many Emerald guitars exist in the world? Hundreds? Last February I posted here, asking if anyone in the Boston area had an Emerald X7 I could demo. I did not get one reply of any kind. I guess with the road-trip model, I might eventually get to play one. But this does not seem to be a market-leading business model. Carbon fiber guitars are a niche in the guitar market, and Emerald is a niche within that.

This is not to knock Emerald. I'd like to own (pending an audition) one of the new X10s with a woody top and headstock in green, thanks. I think these guitars are artwork, and are unique in the guitar world. But artwork has never been a sky's-the-limit business. And with a 4-month or more wait for a guitar, Emerald seems much closer to a boutique business.