View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 09:49 AM

Your work is automatically copyrighted at the point of "fixation", which for music can be written or recorded form. That would hold true for the new version of a previous piece as well.

That amount of protection is sufficient for most people. Registration is a separate thing; your work is definitely copyrighted regardless of whether or not the copyright is registered. Personally I would need a very solid reason to pay money to register a copyright.

Maybe if I was a professional songwriter who has already had significant financial success, and I was sending out new demo tapes and lead sheets of my career best stuff to various people in the business, then I might register just those. Outside of that, or other cases where a lot of money is clearly going to be flowing based on a work, it's probably overkill.

If you still feel the need to register your copyrights for additional protection, then yes you would need to repeat the registration in order to cover any additions in the revised version. Why not wait until they are finished and at least do it just the one time ? This seems like an unrealistic thing to agonize about.