View Single Post
Old 05-13-2021, 02:53 AM
Charter Member

Default Gibson LG-2 size guitars - Alternatives?

There have been a couple of Gibson LG-2 threads on AGF recently. And I would love to have a Gibson 50s Original (2020 re-issue) LG-2 but can't afford to even dream about getting one! And the price of buying an old vintage Gibson is ridiculous. However, I would like to explore alternatives. I know that the Farida Old Town Series gets a good press here but they are not available outside the US (I have talked to the UK Farida importer who actually says that Farida has stopped trading altogether due to the pandemic).

Looking at its history, the LG-2 seems to be based on an older Gibson classical guitar model. I was wondering if there are other "folk" size guitars out there that are still sitting under $1000 (well under hopefully!). I'm not too worried about b/s woods. Some of the nicest LG-2 clips I have heard on Youtube were maple back and sides, rather than mahogany, with x braced spruce tops.

There are hundreds of 000 size guitars out there but I'm interested in hearing about anything based on a classical guitar size body but with a 14 fret neck. I think the term "folk guitar" is sometimes used to describe this size?

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.