View Single Post
Old 10-11-2013, 04:31 PM

Wow! you've drifted a fair bit from where you were you were when this all began.

I'm left wondering what I was after I read this a while back...Why not pick up a nice 00-18 from 1926-1932? Those guitars are incredible! They cost about 6-7 K so I'd wager the cost is just about parallel with John Slobod's new build.

I think the custom build route makes sense when:

The guitar exists already so you don't have to wonder if you'll like it.

The guitar you want has features that are NOT available.

The guitar you want is a reproduction of a guitar that is just way, way out of reach financially.

You can afford to take a big hit on resale if you don't bond with the commissioned instrument.

Obviously it's your money and privilege to do what you want with it...this is just my perspective.

I see you're looking for the cutaway...so that falls within my guidelines. I've heard great things about Slobod. Coincidentally, a friend owns Petteways maple 00 that everyone is talking about here and says it's a very special instrument. I'd wager whatever happens you're in for a treat! Just the same having a nice old Martin from the late 20's through the late 30's is never a bad thing. I love the few I'm lucky enough to own.

Lastly...I can't imagine wanting a guitar with more overtones than my 00-18. It's just about perfect.

Disclaimer:waiting for 4 custom builds this year! I own a lot of old vintage guitars...

Last edited by jackaroo; 10-11-2013 at 06:08 PM.