View Single Post
Old 03-27-2020, 08:01 PM

Speaking about acquired skills Holy Cow was that a lot of work. So the workbench was a guitar bench today and it was a bit of a marathon for this relative newb to DIY guitar luthery.

It turns out I misnamed this thread. It should have been more along the lines of "Make your own tools and self correct over and over again" or "Fret leveling 'til the cows come home"or "Buy yourself a perfect fret rocker gauge cuz close don't cut it".

So going back to the beginning I was figuring on using a 24" spirit level to flatten out my buzzing fret board. Well my guitar wasn't too bad for next fret comparison leveling up until the hump at the 14th. From the 12th fret to the nut there weren't any massive wows but up high it was ski jump city and the refret guy was on lock down so Mr. Cheapskate here made a 8" sanding block with 220 and 340 grit and had at it. I make it sound rough and fast but actually took way too long and I rechecked my work way too many times but that's kinda the way I tend to approach first timing a new difficult challenge. Feels good when you get it right and yeah my chest is kinda puffed up at the moment. Tomorrow I`ll dial in the saddle but it's really close.

With so much good feedback received on this thread I followed up on some of the quoted sources and it really paid off. More later but it's getting late just wanted to say thanks and be well. Hope you and yours are OK.