View Single Post
Old 02-24-2007, 10:59 AM

I don't think a little coffee house or small club should have to pay much of anything to Ascap or BMI, or at least a very small fee depending on the size of the venue. This is the kind of crap that's killing live music in many small places. The coffee shops and several clubs I know of in this area are lucky to have 20 people in there when the musicians are playing. The musicians don't make any money to speak of, and the venues definitely don't make a killing. Many end up closing within a year or so.

In a way they are hurting themselves. I've bought a lot of music after hearing a good cover performed at a local spot, and I know many others have as well. While this may not amount to much revenue for the writers/ publishers etc., it's better than shutting down the little guys who are barely making a profit. Then Ascap and BMI won't get the licenses and will have fewer record sales.

I understand completely the problem the industry has with internet music sharing, and I agree you shouldn't be able to download a song for free. I love I-Tunes, I'm completely happy being able to get a song for 99 cents. Heck, when I was a kid I was paying 1.49 for 45's.

Ascap and BMI are great for the professionals who are making their living with their music. But they should base their licensing fees on the amount of income the venue brings in, rather than price the fees so high most little guys can't afford it, or take the chance and hope they don't get caught.
It would seem to me 50 bucks a year from all the little places that are flying under the radar would be a lot of money, and much better than trying to shut them down or force them out of having live music.
'06 Taylor 414ce
'03 Taylor 355
'05 Gibson 185 EC Special jumbo
'91 Gibson Les Paul Studio Lite
'96 Gibson Les Paul Studio
'04 Fender Highway One Strat
'06 Fender American Precision Bass