View Single Post
Old 01-10-2020, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

I got divorced 9 years ago at 55. Teenage kids, etc. But it was the right move for my ex and I.

A friend introduced me to meetup.com shortly after my divorce. I didn't know what it was and I hesitated to go to a "singles" thing. I went to a local "meetup" and meetup has been a big part of my life ever since. A meetup group is comprised of singles, married couples, etc. - really just people that share similar interests. No pressure. I've made many lifetime friends through meetup.

For example - I enjoy hiking. I can do a meetup search with term "hiking", find groups that are relatively local and simply join a meetup hike. I have two hikes planned for this weekend with same group I've been hanging with for 9 years. Ages run from 40's to a 70's.

When I lived in Florida I could not find a person to go with me for Indian food. So I found a group that goes to local restaurants and they happened to have an Indian place lined up. Done. I like to travel and I'm used to traveling alone. One of the groups in FL was planning a trip to Europe and I went with them in the Fall of '19. Two of them had an argument and went back to the USA but - with a smile on my face - our rooms were paid for and I had a single for the rest of the trip :-). It all works out.

I agree with the other comments - don't worry about dating at this point. Really too darn stressful.

If you have any questions please pm me and I'd be glad to try to help. I'm not very good a playing guitar but I feel like the Lenny Breau of the singles life :-).

Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Fairbanks F20
Rainsong CO-OM1100NST
Martin 2008 000-18 Golden Era