View Single Post
Old 11-26-2019, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
To me, it sounds like a lot of it is being stomped on by the other tracks in the lower range, i.e., where the warmth would come through.............

P.S. (Edit) The U47 is the tube gold standard, except they used tubes that no longer exist. Some of the clones are supposed to be very good - just out of my home recording budget!

Thanks Keith. Your comment about making room for the lower end warmth is food for thought. I have always approached the vocals as being more in the mid to upper range and the guitar as being in the lower mid area. Maybe switching them around will help eliminate some of the offending vocal frequencies. At least it’s a good experiment for this novice.

In regards to 47 clone, would love to add one to my mic locker , but like you they are a little out of my budget for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
..............And remember it is pretty typical to no like our voice recorded

So I would not give up on the 149 just yet . The only thing I thought was a bit strident and the level too high is the percussive whack.

So my suggestion would be first try some subtractive EQ on the vocal. And as keith suggested you might want also do some subtractive EQ on all the tracs to clean up lows and mids.

If the DAW your using has a multi band EQ with adjustable freq range and adjustable Q narrow the Q virtually all the way, then boost the gain up pretty high and sweep back and forth, try starting a sweep at 100- 150 then 250 - 300 then try 400 - 600 try to listen for hollow (singing in culvert type sound ) usually found in multiples starting at about 250 and 500 when you find them hollow then do a narrow Q cut on it maybe about 5 db.

Then check again around 2000 and 4000 and see if you hear a "ringing" sound
then cut there also

Next I would also suggest either some modest Reverb and or Modest Delay make sure you set either one up in parallel on it's own track and send the vocal to the verb/delay track.
Ha, appreciate and can relate to the Not liking ones own voice comment.
It’s so true, though I am beginning to accept it a little more every day. Hence why I’m contemplating if a different mic assist. but I’m not getting rid of the M149...

I will experiment with some subtractive EQ in the frequency ranges you mentioned. I have Sonar Platinum and it does have some powerful EQ plug-ins, ones were I can do a narrow sweep and find the offending frequencies. It’s time I dive head first into the mixing part of the process which includes learning more about EQ and setting up busses for effects...so much to learn.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 11-26-2019 at 10:16 PM.