View Single Post
Old 11-26-2019, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Here's a quick demo of my voice for you. its just guitar, drums, and voice. Vocals recorded on an M149, cardiod setting about 6 inches away No EQ or reverb, just a bit of overall compresion.

https://soundcloud.com/user552560817/m-149-test/s-pNhpb

Can you make a mic sugestion from a basic recording? Love to hear your thoughts
I guess I'm wondering what you are trying to do here. That's a pretty good vocal track, and certainly a good mic. To me, it sounds like a lot of it is being stomped on by the other tracks in the lower range, i.e., where the warmth would come through.

It's not particularly harsh, but maybe you're pushing the presence to overcome not carving enough space for it in the mix? And, you can always try to work the mic a bit closer for some proximity effect. And make sure you've got as clean a signal as possible by keeping those gains dialed back (vs. pushing the next stage).

Of course, it's nice to find a mic that means zero tinkering after the track is recorded, so if that's your goal, you might look at a good tube mic, IMO. I had access to one of those older RØDE models for a while, and it was nice on my friend's tenor voice, but for me, it was a wash against my Miktek.

P.S. (Edit) The U47 is the tube gold standard, except they used tubes that no longer exist. Some of the clones are supposed to be very good - just out of my home recording budget!