Thread: Zoom H4n Pro
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2019, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
My understanding is that the h4n pro has the same or similar mics and electronics as the h5 and h6, which all came out around the same time, and they do seem to be a significant upgrade to the older h4n. Lower noise if nothing else. But the h4n is quite usable, i used it for you tube videos untl i got the h6, so many of my older videos are likely the h4n, tho i always use external mics.

Ps. Nice sound joseph. I can only listen in earbuds on an ipad at the moment, but it sounds good to me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
That’s my understanding having looked into this a bit. Better/cleaner mic pre’s. I also don’t think (although I don’t have one to actually compare) that there’d be a significant change in sonic profile from the original H4n.

Thanks so much Doug. I really wasn’t intending to show off the absolute sonic capabilities of the Zoom as more to demonstrate it’s genuine ease of use while still producing a pretty quality result. That and I’m still finding the best mic position for the guitar I’m using. My temporary home (during my big move) is 25 feet from the 101. Finding a quiet spot, and a spot that’s not actually vibrating from the trucks going by is tough right now. The Zoom affords me the ability to easily try different spots in an attempt to escape the pounding sounds of the 101. I’d think even more powerful in a home that’s not so audio challenged.

Still, for this experiment I merely set up a mini mic stand on the coffee table, did two quick tracks, put some Lexicon on the second take and posted. I’ve got 25 minutes into this start to finish. That kinda alters my mind set in being productive in home recording.
Thanks for the information, all.

Great playing and recording. Joseph, where are you positioning the Zoom when you record?