View Single Post
Old 11-02-2017, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnewsom View Post
Actually the thing that put me off the T1 was that it couldn't integrate power wise with the Compact, unlike other Bose models. It required a separate wallwart power supply, which I despise.
This to me is a huge design flaw with the L1 Compact. A lot of people complained about this when the Compact first came out. I thought for sure Bose would correct this with a new version of the Compact but they never did. With the absence of a master volume and EQ on the guitar channel, it seems like Bose is almost "forcing" the use of the T1, which I guess I could understand but then to not have the power/signal T1 port on the Compact is a big oversight. If Bose had put the T1 port on the Compact they would probably sell more T1s to Compact users. It makes no sense to leave this off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Really? .. that stinks and at $499 .. would turn me off too.
I would say again, it's more a flaw in the design of the Compact than the T1. All mixers need a power source of some kind.

With regard to the attributes of the T1, I've been using one since the beginning. I took delivery of one of the first shipments of T1s way back when they were first released. I took a couple of years off using a QSC TouchMix8 but recently sold that to go back to the T1. Are there digital mixers with more features? I'm certain of it but I'm not sure there are any that pack as many features into such a small size. My T1 fits into my little gig bag and can be mounted on a mic stand so all of my controls are right there. Not too many other mixers (with this many features) can do that.

It make take a bit of a shift in thinking about the T1. It did for me. When I first got it I saw it as a stand alone mixer. I continued to try and use various external preamps for my guitar. Finally a wise Bose forum member asked me what I was trying to do with all these preamps that I couldn't do with the T1. Good question!

There might be some features a player needs that aren't there: phase shift, high-pass filter, foot stuff (boost, looper, etc) and vocal things like a harmonizer but for most of us, everything we could ever need is packed into this little box.

I stopped looking at the T1 as just a mixer and started to see it as my (I hate this word but I'll use it for lack of a better one) rig.

I'm only a few months back into the world of Bose but back in the day I had a ton of different scenes saved. I had scenes for different guitars, different venue types, different mics, a scene dedicated to the Compact and so on. The T1 has a tuner, lots of effects, 3 band EQ, 1 band of parametric EQ, tons of presets for all kinds of specific brands of instruments, pickups, mics, etc as well as many general presets too. And all of this can be applied differently to each individual channel. All this in something smaller than many of the vocal/guitar boxes people are using.

It also has a master out and an aux out. I used the T1 many times with different house systems. Sometimes for a mix of my guitar and vocals, sometimes as just my guitar "preamp."

Over the years I have continued to try out various preamp/EQ/DIs. Some notable ones are the Avalon U5, Pendulum SPS-1, Summit Audio TD100 and many others. Those are all gone and I'm still taking my 1/4" cable and plugging my guitar straight into channel two of my T1.

I guess my point is that if you don't need any of the "missing" features of the T1 and you look at this as more of your personal "rig" regardless of the system you are using, it becomes much more valuable than just another mixer.

I was doing some shows with a friend this summer. He was flying in and I was driving and bringing my L1 Model 2. He brought his T1 and we hooked them both up to my L1 Model 2 and we both had all of our settings right at our fingers.

It would be difficult to hook 2 T1s up to a Compact but if you need more channels than one T1 (and the mic, 1/8" and RCA jacks still available on the Compact) you might be trying to cram too much into one system but YMMV.

Hope that helps,
Matt