View Single Post
Old 02-05-2017, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turp
Originally Posted by Turp View Post
A friend once told me effects on acoustic guitars were a crutch for the unskilled.;5219444
I am in a similar situation. My duo plays instrumental fingerstyle and cover a lot of styles, sometimes a few in one song; effects and shaping are critical. Even still, my rig is fairly simple, Fishman Tonedeq and TC Delay ( I also use a TC Ditto). The Tonedeq reverb is always on. That unit has a great eq, compression, and boost. Prior to this setup, like you I used a multi-processor, the Digitech 360XP. It is a great unit but I found the Tonedeg provided just what I needed with better tone.

The argument against effects, IMHO, is like the argument between external mic'ing and using internal pickups. Once the sound of an instrument is played through a speaker, the resulting tonal representation/reproduction is arguable and subjective. Everything in those signal chains influences and injects their specific characteristics to the perceived tone.
I agree completely , but would like to add this further comment . Because in reality as you say, there is no amplified acoustic tone that sounds like unamplified acoustic tone . There is only more closely and less closely . So in reality as you say playing through any amplified system is going to have an effect on the tone period.

Even though I played solo acoustic gigs with the only "effects" being the mic pre combo and PA itself, and minimal amount of pretty high quality reverb.
The "argument" against "effects" is a fallacy, there is no argument against effects, there is only totally subjective preference as to amount.

Comments like your friend made are founded in ignorance not reality.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4