View Single Post
Old 07-06-2021, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1 View Post
For me, this is one of the most interesting things to watch in sports. What makes it even more amazing is because of the way they have just finished going at each other. It's not like they were playing a golf match. I find it amazing and yes, very classy.

Well I missed this. If anyone would like to explain what the rule change was, i would love to hear it!
The Sean Avery Rule: Here it is, and it happened during a playoff game. I've never seen a rule implemented so quickly before (https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...e-avery-rule):

"With two members of the Devils in the penalty box, for half a minute or so, which is a long time in a hockey game, Avery blocked Brodeur’s view by waving his arms and stick in front of his face and mimicing Brodeur's every move.

Avery, the much maligned but talented forward, actually turned his back to the play and, facing Brodeur, waved his stick repeatedly right in Brodeur's face to distract him."
The next morning, the NHL issued a new rule to cover the situation.

It is known as "The Sean Avery Rule." The rule makes it illegal for a player to stand in front of a goalie and wave his or her stick in the netminder's face. The NHL announced that henceforth such behavior would result in a two-minute penalty."