View Single Post
Old 09-25-2018, 06:26 PM

Well folks - my beautiful guitar arrived safe and sound today in NYC. I’ve had a chance to play her, and just love it. A few quick comments:

1. The fit and finish are oustanding - I’m amazed at how top luthiers like Steve can build such fine instruments with such precision.

2. The pics so far provided, while good, don’t fully do justice to the beauty of this guitar - in particular the details on those leaves inlayed on the fretboard. The detail is amazing - I am so pleased!

3. This is my first guitar with a bevel - it is so much more comfortable. I can’t imagine getting another guitar without one.

4. This is also my first guitar with a soundhole - still evaluating this one. The difference isn’t really stark for me - it’s subtle. What I notice in particular is my bass note separation and articulation is more pronounced to my ear with the soundhole. I’ve alway struggled a bit with my bass notes - never felt that I was hitting them hard enough. The soundhole has convinced me that I am articulated my bass notes a little better than I thought.

5. Steve’s build on this redwood/claro walnut combination produces a wonderful sound. It’s slightly on the darker side, but not muddy or woody like I’ve had with mahogany guitars (and I decided I don’t like that mahogany woody sound). It’s extremely resonant with a lot of sustain. The trebles are not shimmery - but they are clear. If I had to characterize it I would say nice midrange and excellent separation and resonance. But here I am commenting as if I am a professional - I’m really a mediocre player. Anyway, the tone is distinctive and wonderful, and definitely different than my other guitars. It is closest in tone to my cedar/BRW Olson, but with slightly more separation on the bass and slightly less sustain. I just love it already!!

Steve - hat’s off to you my friend! You built me a magnificent instrument that I will treasure for years to come. It is unique; it tells a story; and it contains emotion. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!!

Steve