View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 10:01 PM

I have coached many singers, some of whom are considered professionals, and in my opinion talent is vastly over rated. Most people can learn to sing.

On the other hand if you have lousy pitch-physical coordination you have to simply be a LOT MORE committed to do a ear training, working with a visual tuner, doing your long tones, scales, interval leaps, etc and make sure you're supporting with your diaphragm (belly).

Practice the corner of a room so you can hear yourself, record your progress regularly, organize your practice time so its effective.

Once you develop your chops and ears a little you will start to get confidence which will go a long way towards taking you to the next level.

I have worked with people that could make paint curl off the park bench with their heinous croaking but after enough committed work became solid.

One woman in particular was told by EVERYONE (except me) to please GIVE UP and years later became accomplished with a number of well received albums. (In the early years I used to run out of her gigs as soon as she saw that I was there and the lights dimmed)

If you want it bad enough you can do it. Good luck.