View Single Post
Old 04-18-2018, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Neither of my parents or any of my grandparents sang or played anything None of them listened much to music either. I had an aunt who, played piano, they say. Another one played Joann Castle style ragtime. A cousin is a whiz on ragtime and tunes and restores pianos as well. And a second cousin played for the silent movies and also played that fast ragtime.

My kids were definitely exposed to music and encouraged in a greater way than I was, but none have carried it very far. One daughter (#2) has the talent that the rest of us lack (including me) but at this time in her life is focused on career and family and is not pursuing any of the arts she is good at. Another daughter (#1) just bought a keyboard, which is saying something as her lifestyle is pretty nomadic. Son #1 can play a little guitar and accordion, but mostly doesn't. Neither he or my #1 daughter can sing worth beans. They got that from me, or so I joke (daughter #1 is not related to me by blood!).

Me, what I have accomplished is a result of practice and an abiding love of music. Nothing was natural or came easy - but it came. I have always been respectful and envious of musical families and natural talent. Cherish it if you have it.
From my experience, a certain amount of ability to play is in the genes but the desire to play comes from your friends.

Nobody in my family showed any interest in playing a musical instrument but all my friends did - and so did I.

My two sons have been surrounded by music all their lives and to both of them, music is the core interest. My older son has a collection of guitars which he plays... and plays... and plays. This is not from my influence but because all of his friends play and they have formed many bands over the years.

My younger son is very gifted on the piano but rarely plays. He first decided to try keyboards and got himself an electric piano. a few months later, with no lessons he was playing the intro to Firth of Fifth (Genesis) but his piano now gathers dust. None of his friends play anything and despite his ability, nor does he.

I also believe that a natural musical ability goes hand in hand with mathematical ability.

YouTube