View Single Post
Old 04-15-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
This question get asked frequently here. I think a lot of it is perspective: when I received my X20, I had been playing my X7 exclusively for a month or so... the X20 sounded LOUD! It took me a few sessions with it to appreciate that it can be played quietly, but it really kicks when you dig in.

When I got home a couple months later, I had the opportunity to compare the X20 with my Taylor 814. The X20 was louder and I like the tone better. That doesn't mean I like my 814 any less. But, I do like the X20 better. Others have had different opinions... and that is why there are a lot of guitar options out there. I still like my wood guitars, but the two Emeralds get a vast majority of the play time - great sound, excellent playability, and so comfortable.

They are more than just "a swoopy guitar" (something I heard once) - I feel they are a step forward in an industry that thinks "different bracing" is revolutionary. Alistair and the crew at Emerald are making some great instruments, and they have changed how I evaluate guitars.

No, you can't go into a store and try one out. Just like you can't go to a boutique guitar maker and pull one "out of the stock." My first Emerald was a leap of faith, based on all that I had been hearing about them. The second Emerald I bought was a confirmation.

Thanks Cap’n. That’s really helpful!