View Single Post
Old 03-15-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratcat77 View Post
Actually, none of my buddies have complained about the weight. Really, 55 pounds isn't bad - I'm not THAT old! I used to do the full "rock band club scene" for years and compared to the big systems and amps I used for that, this is nothing! The JBL One looks interesting, but doesn't appear to have near the power of the Turbosound. It would be nice to think I could do a solo acoustic gig with the JBL with no mixer, but from what I'm reading, the gain issue you mention is a problem without an external mixer.

The ability to make adjustments remotely with Bluetooth on the Turbo is cool too.

Seems like we're all seeing these units the same way. 55 lbs is not too heavy for a professional gigging musician to expect to carry. But, I'm not doing the pro thing, so lighter is better for me. If one 8" sub was enough for me, two should be more than enough. I'm going to inquire about the iP1000 at GC for an exchange. If they can't do it, I'll look at the JBL.

A nice review of the iP1000. The downsides in transporting seem to be that the column is one piece. Eek. I guess that's better than a 55 lb sub. Maybe.

Edit:

Reconciling the two threads I've been posting in with my newly found conclusions:

1. The Harbinger is fine for hobbyists. But, I will be returning it. There is a distinct hiss from the column with the gains turned off and nothing plugged it. I confirmed it is not a power quality issue.

2. I ordered the XR12 Air digital mixer. I was able to reverse engineer the TC Play Acoustic pedal that I use. I was able to replicate the vocal tone and vocal effects from the TC unit into presets on the mixer. I also replicated the full BodyRez 1 preset and made a second copy with a 100Hz low end shelf. I figured out the "ambience" setting, which was easier than I expected. Thanks Cuki! They sound good. Really good.

3. Since I will have a credit a GC, I will probably have to purchase my new unit from them. Unless I want a $700 gift certificate. I don't.

4. Of the brands they carry, I'm down to two units. The JBL Eon One (surprise surprise... everyone likes it) and the Turbosound iP1000 (the iP200 is too big and heavy for my needs.)

Between the two, the 10" woofer in the JBL looks like a better solution for my use. I don't need the extra SPL from dual 8"s, but the better frequency response from a 10" is attractive. The basic (2) XLR input mixer on the iP1000 looks better than the JBL for use with my new XR12 mixer. I expect to predominantly use either the TC Play Acoustic or XR12 mixer. I suppose I can set the JBLs to line, run the channels flat, and be satisfied. Fingers crossed. I also like that the JBL built in mixer is more functional than the iP1000, if I just need to plug in and go.

The two built in mixers each have a glaring omission. The JBL doesn't seem to have an independent sub control or low cut filter, or dedicated XLR line inputs for a mixer. While the iP1000 solves those issues, they have no individual channel EQ (just a master) and no reverb.

The JBL is lighter and MUCH easier to carry. The cost difference isn't a factor. Looks like I'll probably walk out with the JBL tonight or tomorrow. Just have to put the other one back in the boxes! :-)

Incidentally, StratCat, it looks like there may be no power disadvantage to the JBL Eon One. From what I've read, the iP1000 is 1,000 watts max peak. The 380W ratings for the JBL (250W LF + 130W HF) are, evidently, based on RMS or continuous power. I would guess, assuming a 30% ratio, that the iP1000 will be closer to 300W RMS. Someone please chime in if you know these specs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by martingitdave; 03-15-2017 at 10:34 AM.