View Single Post
Old 02-12-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Hi Dino,
I watched a live video of Dave playing St.James Infirmiry, and yeah.....that's a tecchnique that is just fraught with issues, but it didn't hold Dave back.

You, on the other hand (so to speak), have issues, and they can be dealt with.

The first one is the tendonitis. There's a really good chance that pressing your pinky down for an anchor is the culprit. I've had several students over the years that had the same pain in their forearm, and when I told them to stop anchoring for a little bit, the pain went away.

After that? It was their choice. I just made the observation, but their body was screaming something that their minds just couldn't decipher.

So the next thing: Muting. First of all it's not done with the palm, but it's been referred to as palm muting forever, and always will be. It's really done with the side of hand down from the pinky, but there's are myriad variations because nobody it built the same.

In any case.......

Not being able to see you physically playing guitar, I can't begin to help you sort our some possibilities. Guitar size vs your physicality, your guitar posture as it relates to how you hold the guitar, sitting or standing, etc........all those things affect the proceedings.

The good thing is that YOU know what you're trying to get in terms of a sound, and you realize that your current posture is precluding your progress.

If you'd like to post a video, or even Facetime with me I'd be happy to observe and make some suggestions.

If you'd like to text or call I'm at 631-988-8920, and this is a gratis offer.

Best regards,
Howard Emerson
Thanks, Howard, for the detailed reply and your generosity! I’ve actually figured out how to make the guitar SOUND pretty much the way I want with my technique - the only real issue was the tendonitis. The way I’ve been dealing with that it to do as you suggested, and not push down so hard with my pinkie, and also to change my position while playing.

Part of my style involves very fast syncopated rolls, which I find much easier to do with my palm up away from the guitar. But, when I don’t need to do that, I find that making a real effort to lower my wrist at the moment I start to feel that pulling sensation that used to lead to trouble, has helped me to avoid further trouble. This has worked for a few months now.

For me, right hand muting works sometimes, and I’ve been trying to learn to incorporate it. But the geometry of my hand often makes this really forced, whereas accomplishing this with my left hand comes naturally. So I usually wind up falling back to what I’ve done for years.

I’m interested in hearing what other folks who may have unconventional styles do.