View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
Because I agree that certain comparisons can be useful, I included the clause, "unless the recordings are intended to only show how little or great the differences between the mics are rather than which is best (most accurate)" in my post.

A few months ago, I tried to find a former post of yours containing recordings illustrating that the difference between mic prices is far greater than the difference in performance but couldn't come up with the right search criteria. So yesterday, I bookmarked your post on page one of this thread containing the four links to your level-matched recordings for future reference.

Incidentally, it would be very interesting to compare level-matched recordings made with a Zoom H4 and a high end microphone, preamplifier and A/D converter setup of the same performance.
Sorry I missed that qualification.

You can find the comparison you're asking about here:

http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2009/...-the-zoom-h4n/

Not the best showing for the H4n because I used a rather distant mic placement in order to "stress" all the recording chains, but perhaps it will give you some useful information.

At the same blog you can find the 4 mic comparison that includes 2 LDs and 2 SDs, with prices ranging from $150 to currently goodness knows what. There are also other comparisons of various mics, recorders, video cams, and so on.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog