View Single Post
Old 03-22-2019, 05:47 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Look fast before they fix the new owner's name is the subhead.
And I always giggle a bit when they call a place a "destination" studio. As in, "Wherever you are, you're not here."
Yeah, the "destination studio" was a '70s creation. Bands and artists were quite often on the road forty-five or more weeks per year and were expected to produce albums in their short time off the road, leading to burnout. Producer James Guercio came up with the idea of converting his Colorado ranch into a vacation destination with an attached recording studio to allow bands to get away to a rural, mountainous location that would help them relax and inspire them. Joe Walsh recorded the first album up there with his band, Barnstorm, when the studio, built in a barn, still had a dirt floor. From there, the "destination studio" concept took off.

When I was in college I lived a mile from a nice destination studio, Pyramid Recording, that hosted the Allman Brothers, Joe Walsh, and many others. In fact, the fire department building where I worked was right next door.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)