View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
Quite impressive, an excellent example of "aiming the null" to maximize separation.

Am I correct in understanding that you mix these two before recording, that is, you combine the three mics into a stereo pair in the mixer and then send the stereo pair to your recording inputs?

Fran
That is exactly what I did. Of course, one could send the guitar to one track and the voice to another, but then that would defeat the purpose of using 3 mics and would not yield the stereo image I am trying to obtain with the 3 mic setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Eyed Junko View Post
Great post. Thanks!
I always record guitar and vocal (and anything else) separately so that I have total control over each track in the mix. It also lets me do one over (usually the vocal) if I'm already satisfied with the other. But I totally know what you mean about losing feeling by doing them separately. I think next time I'll play with something like the setup you've got.

By the way, awesome song choices. Paul Simon, as successful as he is, is still one of the most underrated songwriters.
I will still use individual takes and tracks for some songs, but I find that singing and playing simultaneously is more enjoyable for me...it's how I have always played so it just feels more comfortable. It also yields a "live" sound that I like, as opposed to a "studio" sound. So, this set-up will certainly be another useful "tool" in my kit for whenever it is appropriate.

Yes, I agree, Paul Simon has written some great songs and my wife and I cover many of them. I think he has shown tremendous versatility and creativity throughout his career, so I never get bored with his music.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)

Last edited by Bob1131; 12-03-2010 at 09:51 PM.