View Single Post
Old 07-16-2017, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Sounds fine but not a good example to compare a solo guitar recording for a number of reasons. Distances, multiple instruments, type of instruments, electric pickups, small dimension sound sources, etc. Not coincident xy miking either BTW. Read more about the mike used and his description of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FReWfMia5vA
Why do you say this isn't a coincident XY mic? It's a stereo XY (Blumlien - figure 8) mic (I own an R88, used it for my last CD, so I've been working with that mic for quite a few years now. I usually use it in MS, tho.). It's not 2 cardiods, but if I recall correctly, the original XY coincident micing was developed with figure 8s (Blumlein), not cardiods. As far as what you're talking about, there should be no difference, unless you think the back lobe somehow changes things?.

Quote:
However if you don't hear it this happening, then fine, end of discussion.
Yeah, I don't hear any issue with XY recording. I hear the sound of XY, but no phase issues. I prefer spaced pairs (which are known to introduce phase issues, of course, but that's ok) Maybe Bob Womack will notice this and offer his thoughts - I know he likes a sort of modified vertical XY on guitar. Have you come across anyone else saying there are these kinds of issues with recording guitar with XY? I know there was an engineer here on AGF a while back promoting that the only proper way to record guitar was mono, but I've never heard anyone describe these sorts of issues with XY.

Anyway, way off the topic of this thread :-)