View Single Post
Old 07-16-2017, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Well, this isn't an orchestra, but there are examples of multiple instruments, with some being up close enough to the mic that it should trigger what you're talking about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blAnzWqNlSc
Sounds fine but not a good example to compare a solo guitar recording for a number of reasons. Distances, multiple instruments, type of instruments, electric pickups, small dimension sound sources, etc. Not coincident xy miking either BTW. Read more about the mike used and his description of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FReWfMia5vA

Quote:
yes, listening to just one side of a stereo recording can sound weird. Kind of like if you look at a VR image or 3D movie with one eye. Part of stereo technique is that it's the sum of the parts that makes it work. I'd assume you'd also hear what you describe if you listened to the guitar with an earplug in one ear?!
Each track listened to in mono (both ears, not one ear)

Quote:
I don't really hear this when listening as intended, in stereo. I wonder what some of our recording engineer pros on the forum would have to say about this. I think arguing that XY has phase issues is probably a hard sell. Arguably more solo guitar CDs, more classical guitar CDs, recorded using XY than other techniques. At least a lot of them are. Do you hear this in many of the CDs you listen to?
I hear the issue on all solo acoustic guitar XY. More with higher frequency content, and thus classical (nylon string) guitars can do better with XY than flattops.

Sound wavelength phase interference happens in free space. If the microphone happens to be there it will record that. For example consider a guitar A note emanating from two different places on the guitar top and how the wavelength from each place interacts at different points in the space around the guitar.

However if you don't hear it this happening, then fine, end of discussion.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 07-16-2017 at 02:09 PM.