View Single Post
Old 07-16-2017, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Example recording?
Well, this isn't an orchestra, but there are examples of multiple instruments, with some being up close enough to the mic that it should trigger what you're talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blAnzWqNlSc

Quote:
Take one of your best sounding stereo recordings, open it in Audacity (for example) and listen. Then split the stereo track to mono, mute the right track and listen to the left track, and then vice versa. In each case you will hear a thinner and a substantially phasey (is this a word) sound (less on the low frequencies naturally).
yes, listening to just one side of a stereo recording can sound weird. Kind of like if you look at a VR image or 3D movie with one eye. Part of stereo technique is that it's the sum of the parts that makes it work. I'd assume you'd also hear what you describe if you listened to the guitar with an earplug in one ear?

Quote:
On an acoustic guitar recording timing differences and a slight different sound in each mike (more like you get in non-coincident miking (or the sound you get from recording multiple instruments for that matter)) fills out and solidifies the sound (not to say you can't get phasey sound in non-coincident miking also, but in coincident miking of a guitar (in the near field anyway) it's impossible not to.
I don't really hear this when listening as intended, in stereo. I wonder what some of our recording engineer pros on the forum would have to say about this. I think arguing that XY has phase issues is probably a hard sell. Arguably more solo guitar CDs, more classical guitar CDs, recorded using XY than other techniques. At least a lot of them are. Do you hear this in many of the CDs you listen to?

XY is not my favorite technique, but to my ears, at least, it works fine. The nice thing is we have options. It's hard for these little recorders to have built-in "spaced pairs", but they do allow for external mics, so you can do anything you want. All I was trying to show here was the effect of different room acoustics, and also the abilities of a simple little "point and shoot" recorder, even in lousy conditions. I think the demo works for that -
I hear the differences clearly - but I'm certainly not trying to promote making XY recordings in the laundry room :-) Maybe laundry room spaced pairs would catch on, tho!