View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankhond View Post
Darn! That mix is just amazing, what exactly did you do? Mind if you post the settings?
I didn't do a lot, but my EQ has a 9.5 db boost at 88Hz to bring up the bass (that's a *lot*, so moon's guess about a low cut switch may be correct). I also cut 2 db at 350, and 2 db at 2Khz - those were debatable, but its subtle, and I was trying tame the low mids with the 350 and a bit of the agressiveness at 2K.

I also used Ozone 4, which has an "exciter" tool, and I added a bit of that on the low end 20-300Hz, which adds some warmth. A little gos a long way on this, I just had it set on 1%.

I widened the sound with the Voxengo free MS tool, mids at -02 and sides at +1.2.

Reverb's hard to describe, but this was a "Guitar Room" preset on a Bricasti M7.

The noise reduction, I did with Izoptope Rx. There was a clear low hum around 100Hz, and I was able to isolate fairly well that on the tail. Izotope has a "learn" mode, where you give it a sample of noise, and then it nukes it everywhere. That could have worked better if I had a clean sample of nothing but your room sound without the guitar in there.

Having separate mics provides more options, but even with the fixed mics, there should be a lot of sounds to find, by moving things around, as it sounds like you've discovered.